Personal Survival Packs (PSP)
HDT Airborne Systems designs and manufactures Personal Survival Packs (PSP) for helicopter aircrew in the event of emergency egress over or in the water. The packs are available either as a soft pack that is worn on the back or as a fiberglass hard container that is carried in the aircraft seat and includes a seat cushion on the top. When used with a parachute system, the hard container PSP has an optional lowering line to enable the PSP to be dropped, remaining below the wearer after canopy deployment to reduce the risk of injury on landing. Originally designed for UK MoD helicopters, these are currently in service with Sea King, Merlin, Lynx and Gazelle helicopters.
Reliability and Survivability
- Contains a single-seat life raft and survival aids customized to environmental conditions.
- Sized to allow escape through the side window of a helicopter.
- Attaches to a life preserver via connecting points on the left and right side.
- A Single-handed release enables the wearer to quickly remove and operate the pack after emergency egress.
- Designed to sustain a crash load of 22.2kN.